Israeli minister says IDF should have fired on unarmed Palestinian protesters for humiliating a soldier
This is a big deal. At 1.5 million strong and counting, we’ve built the largest divestment campaign in the history of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Longtime peace activists are telling us this could be a game changer, but the next few days are crucial — will our thousands of email, Facebook and Twitter messages to these companies be a flash in the pan, or will we keep up the pressure until they cave in and do the right thing? They’re riding us out right now — let’s show them that won’t work.
The good news is we’ve already gotten responses! Barclays is stonewalling with a “it’s not our fault” PR statement, but ABP, a huge pension fund, have asked to personally meet with the Avaaz team. The pressure is working — for the sake of the children still being killed in Gaza, let’s keep it up. Click below to keep sending those messages:
Scroll down to see the original email that launched this campaign. We’ve been getting loads of grateful messages from peace activists for this campaign, since it’s really rare that a mainstream group is willing to take strong steps like this. But Avaaz is just a community of people, who just want to do the right thing. So we don’t have much fear. Which is part of our promise to help save the world. Thanks for being such a hopeful and fearless community🙂.
In the wake of the terrible violence unfolding in Israel-Palestine, we, citizens from around the world, are deeply concerned about your companies’ continued investment in companies and projects that finance illegal settlements and the oppressive occupation of the Palestinian people. 17 EU countries recently issued warnings to their citizens against doing business or investing in illegal Israeli settlements. Given those legal considerations, you now have the opportunity to withdraw investments and respect international law. This is a chance to be on the right side of history.
- Gaza (along with the West Bank and East Jerusalem) is occupied Palestinian territory underinternational law, determined by the vast majority of the world, as well as the highest court in the world, the UN’s International Court of Justice. Gaza cannot commit aggression against Israel, since Israel is in constant and continual commission of illegal aggression against Palestine by occupying it (illegally and sadistically blockading it and frequently committing terrorism against its civilians, including by targeting them with chemical weapons provided by US taxpayers – see “Rain of Fire” by Human Rights Watch). As documented by Amnesty Int’l, Human Rights Watch, and many others,Israel intentionally targets and murders civilians, including children, en masse.
- Israel also kidnaps and tortures children, including by keeping them in outdoor cages, over night, in winter.
- But, even ignoring international law and that Gaza is under illegal Israeli occupation, Gaza did not initiate this current round of violence; Israel did:
- Western/US/Israeli propaganda says the violence started with the kidnapping and killing of three Israeli youths on June 12th. That is a lie:
- On May 20th, the Israeli government murdered 2 unarmed Palestinian teens, one on video, and wounded a third.
- The firing of pathetic scrap metal rockets from impoverished Gaza, which have killed no one, were in fact launched in response to earlier Israeli bombings, killings, assassinations, and arrests of Palestinians, including children.