The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants:
Some years ago, I was going to graduate school in Baylor. At that time, there was a terrible wave of violence down in Mexico. Daily, you could find YouTube videos of houses splashed as if someone was watering with blood or plies of human parts and people laughing on the background.
One of my classmates was a nice friendly Mormon. I told my friend that part of the problem is that guns were traded for drugs between the US and Mexico, and that tighter control of guns sales would be advisable. I was taking aback by the fiery response of my mild-manner friend. He said with a passion that gun ownership is a divine right and that the second amendment was inspired by God because the US is chosen land, a place of a covenant between God and the true believers. I forgot which, but soon after there were some mass shootings, and each was taken as evidence by my friend that owning guns is not only a good idea, but the solution to gun violence. The 2012 Republican Party platform demanded “reaffirm that our rights come from God,” reflecting a sincere and genuine sense of bright-line natural law.
There was also a recurring ploy of invoking the safety and well-being of children, and condemation of abortion , regardless of relevance, for emotional impact and to gain the moral high ground. Even cases where children are the victims of gun violence were used as argument for the need of more weapons.
My friend would send memes like the following:
- The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
- Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
- (Calculation) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.
Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human Services
Now think about this:
- The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, that’s 80 million..)
- The number of accidental gun death per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
- (Calculation) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.
Statistics courtesy of FBI
So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
Remember, ‘Guns don’t kill people, doctors do.’
FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.
Please alert your friends to this alarming threat.
We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!
Out of concern for the public at large, I withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.
- Guns are only tools. They cannot do anything of themselves and are not inherently evil. Yes, guns can be used for evil acts, such as homicide and things of that nature, but they can be used for good as well. Just as doctors can do good with their knowledge, they too can do evil and to kill (i.e., abortion and assisted suicide) which are legal. Where is the outrage about these things? True, many doctors do wonderful things, but many do not, and we as a society recognize the need for those who do good things. We also need to recognize that guns are good for law abiding citizens to have.
- Do you have any children? I would feel awful if I had to take anthers life, but if it came down to someone hurting/raping/killing my wife or children then I could not live with myself knowing that I could have prevented/stopped it.
- Guns inhibit crime. Why criminals are criminals; because it is easier to rob and take than it is to work and earn. If a criminal wants to take the path of least resistance and he/she knows that one house has a firearm and knows how to use it and another house does not, which one would you think the criminal is going to choose to enter and do whatever he/she wants to the residence of that house? Clearly the one where he/she is not worried about loosing his/her own life. Of the 85 million or so guns within the US, the vast majority of those will never be used to actually fire at another human and take their life, but the fact that they exist and can be used when needed has an effect on those who would rob and plunder. Now if the whole population were to be disarmed what do you suppose would happen to the violent crime rate? Do you think it would go down? If criminals still exist and they can more easily take advantage of others why would a logical human being think that violent crime would go away? Criminals, by definition, have no regard for laws! Including gun laws! So the only people that would have guns would be those who would use them for evil purposes and those of us who would like to prevent those purposes from happening to our families would be left disarmed and helpless. Why do you think that violent crime is so high is the places with the strictest gun laws such as Chicago, NY, etc.? So, even though the 2nd Amendment gives all law-abiding citizens the right to bear arms, simple logic shows that the best way to decrease violent crime is to allow law abiding citizens to own firearms.
- I have agreed doctors and guns are not quite the same issues, but I also explained that the point was to get people to think too.
- It seems that you say two different things about guns and your opinion changes based on whether or not it is your family.
- Murder is immoral. No doubt about it. Now as for the notion that defending one’s family by force, it is still quite Christian to defend one’s family. There are many, many examples to be given, but that would take a very long time so I would refer to three sources: 1) the Bible, 2) the Book of Mormon, and 3) teachings of the modern Prophets. In addition, I was not changing the subject by bringing the fact that doctors kill and murder. The real change in subject came with all the comments about murder and violent crime. The infographic specifically states ACCIDENTAL in both cases, not intentional.
- If citizens can have guns for sport, what is to prevent a CRIMINAL from misusing the gun for violent purposes? If someone breaks into your home with a deadly weapon (perhaps not a gun) and rapes your children/wife and you have a gun because you are sport shooter, should it be illegal for you to use that gun in defense of your family? Why or why not?
- Crazies will always find a way to hurt people with or without guns. The world is declining rapidly! Note that these two tragic events ( 28 Dead, Including 20 Children, After Shooting Rampage At Sandy Hook School In Newtown and Knife-wielding man injures 22 children in China) occur when/where people are defenseless.
- Criminals do not care about the law. A criminal will still get a gun even though owning a gun is illegal. The only people it will affect are those who actually follow the law.
- Fighting sin and selfishness with the Gospel of Jesus Christ would fix the poverty and violent crime rates everywhere.
- I am anxious about the social environment around me because society’s moral compass is way off. We, as a society, have forgotten our Maker and the true path to peace and happiness. Society is caught up in how much stuff someone else has and is very selfish. This is the complete and opposite path to peace and harmony in the world.
- The commandments of God and the Gospel of Jesus Christ are the only things that can/will redeem the world.
- On the note of disarming everyone, it is strictly against the 2nd Amendment. The whole reason we had a Revolutionary war and the 2nd Amendment is because our Founding Fathers experience oppression from the government. They had the foresight to realize that any government (even the one they were setting-up in America) could oppress its citizens and that the citizens have the right to rise-up. From the Declaration of Independence: “But when a long train of abuses and usurpation pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.” How can we even have the option to “throw off such Government, and provide new Guards for [our] future security” if we as law abiding citizens do not have the right to bear arms? It is a founding premise upon which this nation was built.
- What about knives? If we take guns away from people, then why not knives? And if we take knives away, why not screw drivers and box cutters because they can be used to stab people as well?
- The 2nd Amendment is not outdated, as some would believe.
- Our Founding Father’s were inspired by God, who knows all, to include the right to bear arms in the Constitution because liberty and freedom are fundamental principles that are essential to happiness. Now once we have this liberty and freedom, we have the choice on how to act; we can choose to keep the commandments and be happy, or we can choose to break them and not be happy. If the Government controls everything we do, and we do not have the ability to gain back our individual liberty and freedom, then we can no longer exercise our personal choice and accountability.
- Society cares more about selfish pleasures than it does about God and life. The problem of mass violence in the U.S. is more a reflection of contempt for the sanctity of human life than of a love for gun ownership. In a society that reveres human life, gun ownership isn’t a chronic problem. People who genuinely believe in the sanctity of human life won’t take another life – by gun or any other means – unless it is absolutely necessary. Not so in a society that views human life as subjective and revocable. In a society that condones, funds, and promotes abortion and excuses euthanasia, human life is cheap. When a woman has a right to kill an unwanted child growing inside her simply because it suits her to do so, life is robbed of its value.
- Better bloodshed than slavery!
- 74% of NRA members support background checks, that might be a simple first step…. Or maybe not allowing those on the terrorist watch list to buy guns.
- Guns don’t kill people. Idiotic people use guns to kill people. Guns like drugs will always be around even with strict gun control laws. The black market will make more money.